Sure we all know microwaves are great for reheating leftovers and cooking those dismal looking individual frozen dinners, but what else can they be used to cook? There are literally hundreds if not 1,000s of cookbooks dedicated to providing delicious and easy microwave recipes that may not only surprise you but leave your mouth watering.
Baking in a Microwave
Baking can be a tricky thing. Even some experienced cooks don’t like tackling desserts and sweets as they can be awfully finicky and require a lot of patience and work. So the question is can your microwave help in this regard? Surprisingly the answer is yes – you actually can find a number of wonderful microwave recipes when it comes to baking and desserts.
In fact, you can actually use your microwave to bake cakes, cookies, brownies and even pies!
Before you tackle a baking recipe in the microwave however it’s important to arm yourself with the right tools. Make sure you have on hand microwave-safe utensils and baking dishes/pans. Never use metal or plastic to bake within the microwave. Also keep in mind that while baking can be done quickly and easily in the microwave, you can’t expect the same results as an oven. Your recipe can still turn out delicious it will just be a different result than the conventional oven.
Here’s a wonderful dessert recipe that can be served at home or for a crowd as it makes 24 servings. There’s no need to fuss with any baking ingredients in this one, but everyone will think you’ve slaved in the kitchen for hours on this tasty treat.
Chocolate Cereal Bars Infused with Peanut Butter
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup candy-coated peanut butter pieces
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup softened margarine or butter
2 tsp milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter
4 cups Cocoa Puffs Brownie Crunch cereal (or something similar)
4 cups Cocoa Puffs cereal
1 bag mini marshmallows
1. Grease a microwave-safe 13×9 pan. In a large microwave-safe bowl add 1/4 butter or margarine and cook until melted (approximately 30 seconds). After it is melted, add the marshmallows and coat them with the butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute and 15 seconds making sure to stir every 30 seconds.
2. Next stir in the cereals and press the entire mixture into the greased pan.
3. In a medium-sized bowl add all the filling ingredients and then beat with an electric mixer until it is smooth. Spread this filling over the base you’ve pressed into the pan.
4. In a small-sized bowl combine the chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of butter and microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds. Once it is smooth, spread it over the filling layer. Next, sprinkle the peanut butter pieces on top.
5. Put the whole dish into the fridge and allow it to cool for 30 minutes before cutting into rows.